Monday, November 4, 2013

Eden's Granny Chic Nursery


 When Brice and I found out Eden was going to be a girl, I was terrified and excited. Terrified because the mother-daughter relationship is so much more different than a mother-son. Excited, because I could decorate a GIRLS room and do it exactly how I wanted!

     Immediately I knew I wanted it to be a vintage inspired room- what I call Granny Chic. I also knew I wanted a tree on the wall, the letter E, frilly accessories, owls, lace, burlap, and floral Granny fabric. I wanted something that even Gimmie could wish for! So, I started with the paint. I chose an aqua because let's face it, I am NOT a girly girl. I started selling Stella & Dot to get me out of my comfort zone and MAKE myself be more feminine. Pink is NOT a color I like. Purple was too feminine, but a subtle aqua was not only gender neutral, but very... beautiful. My favorite color.

    After the paint, I wanted the tree. But not your ordinary stick-on tree. I wanted demension. So, I bought the tree, Velcro, and flowers from the craft section in Walmart...
...and there we go. My tree with demension.
Eden's tree, rather.

     I knew I wanted floral Granny fabric to go with this vintage theme. But I didn't want to just throw fabric in a frame and hang it in the wall. I wanted something that was unique. Very cute. Very "whoa, that's a GREAT idea!"

And in came the embroidery rings. I got these from Hobby Lobby for stupid cheap. I got a half of a yard's worth of fabric in each print, put it over the inside circle of the embroidery ring, and put the outside circle with the tightening screw over the top (***Make sure the circle is capturing a cute part of the print so it doesn't look silly***). After you get the section you want, cut the excess fabric off, and you're finished.

     Every nursery has to have the child's name SOMEWHERE in there... so just take the extra fabric, some letters from Hobby Lobby, grab your handy dandy hot glue gun and get to gluing.
The flower accent is just a head band for babes that was put in the side of the letter. Easy peasy!

There is still some hanging to do, but this is where we are so far:


Later, I will post the finished product. Her room was cheaper than doing my living room. Heck, it was even cheaper than the accessories in my bathroom. The dresser was a hand-me-down, the crib I got off of Craigslist for $40, the paint was about $25 (paint and primer), the rocker I got from the neighbor for $15, and the wall decor I did for less than $50. That's the rings, tree, flowers, fabric, a few pictures, word art, and the dresser accessories! I don't care who you are, that's a good deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment